What happens when you run out of [free] cellular data on an iPad?
Last night was the last night of my T-Mobile free data for the month. I turned off WiFi on my RetinaPad Mini, and deliberately tried to run through the rest of my data plan, just to see what happened.
I got the following notifications on the iPad:
- 20% remaining (80% used)
- 7% remaining (93% used)
- None remaining (see above)
Additionally, I got the following e-mails as well:
- 81% used (19% remaining)
- 93% used (7% remaining)
- 100% used (none remaining)
The text of one of these e-mails is as follows:
You have reached 93% of your data allotment on your Mobile Internet pass for device #[phonenumber]. To purchase additional high speed data, on an iPad click Settings - Cellular Data - View Account. On all other Mobile Internet Devices go to https://mim.t-mobile.com.
I did not continue use once I hit my limit–I believe I was completely cut off. However, at some point I had read that one would not be cut off; speeds would just dramatically drop. I’ll have to test that at the end of this month.1
None of this was unexpected, but I was curious to see how it was handled.